Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Thirteenth Day


Friday was effectively an entire day of travel, despite the fact that our flight did not leave until seven o clock in the evening. We awoke later, with an opportunity to sleep in a bit, and went to lunch as a whole group at a local restaurant. I had one last chance to eat steak a lo pobre, which was my favorite meal, and talk with everyone. After packing everything up and bringing our luggage down the stairs to the lobby, we all boarded the bus and headed off to the Santiago airport. Arriving at the airport, we began the never ending of lines and waiting that are an inherent part of international travel. When we got the terminal, I was able to spend the rest of my pesos on a quick snack and an agua “con gas”, or with carbonation. That is one thing that I will miss in the States, because it is not nearly as common as it is in Chile, or other foreign cultures in general.
We boarded the plane around seven, and after an hour of delay due to mechanical issues, we were able to take off and begin our transcontinental trip back to the United States. It was a long flight, and I was not able to sleep very much, so this feels like one long day, instead of its reality of two days. It will be nice to sleep in my own bed for the night, before heading on and beginning the rest of my summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment